By Dymond Alexis
Was it worth it? Is a question that actor and singer Jussie Smollett is asking himself daily.
After reports that Jussie Smollett staged his alleged attack, everyone has been looking at Smollett differently including the producers of Empire. The allegations that the attack was fake has yet been proven but, Empire’s producers isn’t trying to wait to see if the information is true.
Production sources told TMZ that Smollett, who was supposed to have nine scenes in the second to last episode of Empire which is being shot now, including a big musical number. Smollett’s screen time has been slashed in half and producers are currently working on re-writing the script.
Smollett alleged that he was attacked after he went to a Subway restaurant early in the morning of Jan. 29 but, it turns out that the two brothers who were picked up by cops, Ola and Abel Osundairo, knew Smollett, and Ola had previously appeared as an extra on Empire. They have allegedly admitted they were paid $3,500 to stage the attack.
The brothers told officials Smollett paid them the money before they briefly fled to Nigeria after the attack took place and the actor promised them an additional $500 upon their return, according to CBS Chicago.
A source also tells CBS News that Smollett is suspected of staging the attack after being upset about a threatening racist letter, made of cutout print and sent to the show’s studio, which also depicted a man with a rope around his neck, didn’t get a “bigger reaction.”
“When the letter didn’t get enough attention, he concocted the staged attack,” a source told CBS investigative reporter Brad Edwards. CBS said other sources corroborated that information.
The Osundairo brothers told CBS: “We are not racist. We are not homophobic and we are not anti-Trump. We were born and raised in Chicago and are American citizens.”